Sunday 31 January 2016

Mexican LCHF chilli Con Carne




I am always on the look out for recipes for my old favourite foods.  When I can't find one then I just try and make it up as I go.  It can be hit and miss sometimes but this was a definite hit.  Both kids gobbled it up so that has to be a win right!




This was very easy and you could probably do it in the slow cooker too if you were pushed for time.

Ingredients
1kg nice and fatty minced beef
2 med onions diced
3 cloves garlic
800gr of diced tomatoes (I used some I  bottled last year)
1-2 whole red chillies sliced
2tsp smoky paprika
1tsp chilli flakes
1 pc smoky chorizo sliced
Optional:1 tin mixed beans (omit if going for super low carb)
S&P to taste

Method
In a large saucepan saute onion and garlic in some coconut oil.  
Add beef a little at a time and break up and cook until nicely browned.
Add chilli, chilli flakes and paprika along with the sliced chorizo. 
Cook a little more then add tomatoes and let simmer for around an hour.
Adjust seasoning before serving and if you want beans then add those in after 30min of simmering.




I served ours with a really cheese cauliflower mash.  The kids are a bit 'meh' about cauliflower unless it is baked whole with a bucket of cheese.
This recipe found their weak spot though.

Ingredients
1 whole cauliflower broken into smaller florets
2 cloves garlic
S&P to taste
1/4c grated parmesan
1/2c grated cheddar
extra 1/2c mixed cheeses for top

Method
Steam cauliflower and once super soft drain well.
Place in food processor with garlic and cheeses. 
Blend until creamy then pour into an oven proof dish.
Top with more cheese and back until bubbling and golden.




I really hope you enjoy this as much as we did.
This is a large serve but I like to freeze portions for lazy nights.
Serve with sour cream and guacamole to finish it off perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment