Tuesday 26 August 2014

Primal Living Tasmania conference - part two

Now I know you are probably already a bit jelly that you didn't get to this event and you missed out on awesome food and stuff.  
Let me just say "but wait there is more.........."

Speakers!!
and what an array of speakers!


Not all of them were my 'cup of tea' and I feel that a couple probably could have been left off the list and stuck to their trade table instead, but that is just my opinion.

Gary Fettke
I was really looking forward to Gary speaking as I have followed him for some time,  and I was not disappointed.  Although I believe sugar is the root of many evils and have cut it out of our diet I didn't feel he was preaching to the converted.  He spoke alot about the link between inflammation and glucose/fructose and the mitochondria which I found really interesting.  Another thing he highlighted was the need for seasonal eating.  He used paleolithic man (stoneage) as an example, describing their need to 'fatten up' in the good seasons (summer/autumn) to tide them over the harder months when food was more scarce.  This makes sense as our weight does change seasonally.  Anna spoke of this in her article recently.  And, because the focus of the day was mostly low carb, high fat (LCHF) he also spoke about good vs bad oils' and the study of 'blue zone longevity' which is something I want to read more on.
His last words really stuck with me  
"we need to be humble in our eating; local, seasonal, natural"

Christine Cronau
I am new to the Christine band wagon as I only just started following her the last few months.   Christine's talk focused heavily on the LCHF philosophy.     How our low fat culture has seen a rise in strokes, heart disease, diabetes and thyroid disfunction.  She highlighted many of the dietary myths that are spun around food promotion and the 'health' industry.  

Rohan Anderson
I loved this guy.  
Do yourself a favour and check out his blog.  
He is so entertaining and tells a story of tree change that is becoming very common.



 David Gillespie
David has written multiple books on sugar and oil.  His talk focused on oils and had some great information that was new to me.    Check out his books  (via link above) if you haven't heard of him.  I particularly found this chart informative.  It outlines how much polyunsaturated fat is contained in certain oils.  Obviously the ones on the left with least amount are the ones you want to use and avoid those on the right.  Sorry the photo quality isn't much better.



Although I suspect the speakers were in many cases 'preaching to the converted' I found this to be an informative and entertaining day.  I am really glad I went as there were many things I learnt, particularly from the speakers I have commented on above.
If you are bummed you missed out because you live interstate then please check out Jo's website as she is taking this national.  I am not sure if she will have the same speakers but keep your eye out for it in your part of the woods.  It seems to be the current trend in workshops and I have seen Changing Habits hosting similar as have Low Carb DownUnder


3 comments:

  1. Excellent summing up and hints. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. Hopefully plenty of people will get to check it out when they tour!

    ReplyDelete