Thursday 17 July 2014

What happens when the scales are fine?



I am finding that doing the protocol is such a huge education in how my body works. 

Although I have been an advocate of 'listening to my body' for a long time, it turns out I really had no idea at all!

Prior to the protocol I really didn't feel a huge reaction to food. Other than the common tummy bloating from wheat or milk I never thought anything really affected me.  I would occasionally get tired after eating something with pastry but that was as extreme as it got.

Imagine my surprise when I introduced coconut milk at the end of round one in phase 4, and nearly vomited from the combined nausea and stomach pain.   I was blown away.   I have always had coconut milk and never noticed anything. 

Then I started thinking about reactions that may have gone unnoticed during phase 2. 

Initially I thought that any reaction I had to a veg or protein would show on the scales.  I knew there might be other symptoms but thought they would go hand in hand with an increase in weight.  How wrong was I!   Yes, often there is a weight gain but occasionally the inflammation will manifest itself in some other way. 

For me I have noticed liver and kidney pain, joint pain, headache, itching, sinus, bloating, constipation, runny/itchy eyes/nose, back pain, cramps, nausea and my ribs go out of joint on the odd occasion.  All of these have happened during round two with very few gains on the scales!   

When I ate beef in round 1 I didn't really notice anything happening, yet this round I get excruciating pain in the first knuckle of my ring finger on my right hand.  Without fail!     If I have milk in my coffee my rib goes out of joint! 

Would I have connected these pains with food prior to the protocol?  Absolutely not.  I would have passed it off as 'god knows what' and kept ignoring it.  In fact, my health was so bad and I was in such constant pain anyway I probably didn't even notice it was happening.

I asked some other people on the protocol what their symptoms have been when their bodies have rejected certain foods and the list is vast.
  • full body pain
  • aches in various parts of the body
  • headaches
  • joint pain
  • bloating
  • instant diarrhoea
  • diaphragm pain
  • breathlessness
  • blocked nose
  • eczema
  • gall bladder pain (under right rib)
  • wind
  • stomach pain
  • rumbly tummy
  • skin rashes
  • candida/thrush
  • stiff joints
All things we would normally pass off as something completely different. Sometimes accompanied by a weight gain but not always.

When people refer to the protocol as a 'diet'  I have very quick to correct them.  It is not a diet, it is a change in how we eat and think.  This is a life change for me and not merely a way to lose weight.  The weight loss is awesome, don't get me wrong but being almost free of pain is the biggest bonus for me.  

The list of foods I can't really tolerate include: beef, milk, cabbage, wheat, corn.  I can only eat leeks, garlic, onion and tomato in small doses.   A small sacrifice in the bigger scheme of things really.  Doesn't mean I have to go without them but I do have to be aware that if I eat them there are consequences.    It also doesn't mean that it will be permanent.  I still have another couple of rounds to go and things do change over time.  Things I couldn't eat last round I can eat this round and vice versa.   

It really is an ongoing educative process.   Listening to your body and gauging responses from foods.  Even long after you have finished the protocol you can always go back to phase 2 foods to give your body a rest.  Like having a 'safe place' for your dietary needs.

If you have any other symptoms or side effects I would love to hear them and what caused them.  Please share them so I can add them to the list :)


No comments:

Post a Comment