Sunday 15 June 2014

Experimental icecream

The kids wanted ice cream, I had 500ml of pure cream in the freezer so figured why not.  In the past I have made it with sugar as per most recipes but decided to stick to our changes and try to avoid that.  I only use good quality pure cream from Ashgrove Cheese and rather than waste the goodness of that I wanted to add other good ingredients.
Rather than using the regular caster sugar I have used coconut sugar, you could also use rapadura or stevia if you wanted.  I have also used the changing habits cacao wafers.  These are 100% raw cacao before the cacao butter is extracted, sugar free, rich and creamy!  This was the first time I had used them since buying them and I must say I was impressed.  Okay, I may have dunked a finger in the mix to test :P

Obviously this isn't a good recipe for phase 2, sorry.  Just know I am being tortured too :)  However, for loading it would be awesome and if you don't react to dairy you could have in phase 4 and phase 5 without a worry.

Ingredients:
5 egg yolks
1/4 coconut sugar
1/2c changing habits cacao wafers
500ml cream

Method:
In a small dish whip 400ml of the cream until it is very thick and put aside.

In a double saucepan combine egg yolks and coconut sugar.  Put over heat and gently whisk until the mixture starts to thicken to ribbon consistency.  DO NOT stop stirring or you will end up with sweet scrambled eggs!  Once this happens add the cacao wafers.  Keep stirring until melted then remove from heat and stir in the remaining 100ml of cream.






Fold in half of the whipped cream at a time and when all mixed through place in the freezer for around 8hrs or into the ice cream maker, which is what I did.  It took about 20min until it reached a good thick consistency then I transferred to a container and put in the freezer.





This has won a big thumbs up from the kids, I know they were doubtful as the wafers are relatively bitter.  They were  very surprised that it was sweet, chocolatey and creamy without too much effort!

Who would have thought it could be so easy and healthy.  Go! Go, have some now!

For more information on the cacao wafers visit the Changing Habits website.













No comments:

Post a Comment