Tuesday 17 June 2014

Bone Broth goodness

The nutritional value of bone broth has been long known by our grandmothers and their grandmothers.  In this age of time poor folk it seems to have been totally forgotten.  Instead, people reach for a stock cube or a carton of 'stock' off the supermarket shelves.  They pale in comparison as a nutritional and healthy meal option. They may add flavour, due to their MSG or yeast extract content,  to a risotto or a soup but that is about all.

For real nutritional value nothing beats a home made broth.  The other day I took you through the steps to make a chicken stock/broth.

Today I have a beef bone broth for you.  This is a medium level broth, when it comes to time and energy.  When I was studying my chef subjects at college we learnt how to make the best broth ever!  It is time consuming but well worth the effort.  It required 5 cuts of bone/meat, several hours of roasting and then simmering and ending with purifying the stock with egg whites.
If I was making bulk broth in a commercial kitchen I would do that but as I am not and you are unlikely to be, this is my offering:

Ingredients:
1kg beef bones, I used neck bones this time but you can use osso bucco but it is quite fatty.
12 litres of water
1 onion peeled and cut in half
10-12 peppercorns
2 stalks of celery (I would put more veg if not in P2)

Method:

Ask your butcher to cut them to small pieces.  This helps all the yummy marrow and gelatins to come out.


As with the chicken stock, pop your bones and veg into a pot or slow cooker and cover with water.  I added about 12litres to 1kg of bones.



Simmer, for a loooooooooong time.  I did 15 hrs and it was divine!   Let it cool and then remove bones. They should look like they have had the life sucked out of them!


Remove the fat from the top.   This stock won't be as clear as chicken stock and that is ok.  If it bothers you, warm and put some egg white in to clarify.


I got five containers of stock and lunch out of my lot.   I have to say this was the best bone broth I have made in ages!
I use it as a base for soups, stews or 
just to have a cup of in the afternoon to warm up.



No comments:

Post a Comment